Transportation Design

The Transportation Design Division consists of three sections; Design Engineering, Utility Coordination and Right of Way.The division is primarily responsible for the preparation of construction plans, specifications and estimates for County transportation improvement projects.Federally sponsored transportation projects are designed and coordinated through this division with other agencies such as Caltrans, FHWA, SBCTA, railroads, cities and adjacent counties.The division coordinates public outreach efforts with regards to upcoming and current transportation projects.

Design Engineering

The Design Engineering Section designs a wide variety of projects including new roadway construction, roadway widening and realignments, storm drain and drainage improvements, asphalt overlays, traffic signal installations as well as parking lot improvements, bike trails, sidewalk and ADA ramp installations.The section is also responsible for hiring and overseeing structural engineers for bridge projects.

Utility Coordination

The Utility Coordination Section works with utility companies on County transportation improvement projects.Coordination includes identifying existing utilities and relocating any utilities that conflict with County improvements.For utility service or location inquiries, please contact the local utility provider.

Right of Way

The Right of Way Section is involved with the documented right the public has acquired to cross over another’s property, otherwise known as road right-of-way. This section conducts road right-of-way research, provides road right-of-way engineering services for County transportation improvement projects, and prepares documents and maps/plats to be used by the County’s Real Estate Services Department during the project’s property appraisal and road right-of-way acquisition phases.In addition, this section accepts applications from the public to vacate (remove) documented public rights-of-way and processes the request to the final Board of Supervisors’ public hearing proceedings.This section also provides customer service regarding public and County road right-of-way inquiries.

For questions regarding public and County road rights-of-way please call (909) 387-7940.

For questions regarding private road rights-of-way, or questions regarding the vacation process,please contact a land title insurance company and/or proper legal counsel.

Approved Record Drawings

The division maintains approved record drawings of street improvements associated with County transportation improvement projects and of street improvements associated with private development along public and County road rights-of-way.

For requests regarding approved record drawings (street improvement plans) in the unincorporated areas of the County please call (909) 387-7940.The approved record drawings maintained by the division are available at no charge to the public for review.Copies may be purchased at our office for a fee of $2.70 per 24”x36” sheet.

For requests regarding approved record drawings (street improvement plans) on city roadways, please contact the respective city.

For questions concerning street improvement criteria required for new development or as part of Conditions of Approval, contact the San Bernardino County Land Use Services Department – Land Development Section at (909) 387-8178.

County maintained roadways

To obtain permit information and forms to work on County roadways or call the Transportation Permit Section at (909) 387-1863.

For Information Contact

Mervat Mikhail